Similar Questions

What are poor hygiene habits that could cause food contamination or food poisoning?

  • Not washing hands after using the toilet along with using dirty cleaning cloths are poor hygeine habits, that may cause food contamination or poisoning.

Add Comment & Answer


Name: *



Answers and Comments

  • Answer: Not washing hands after using the toilet along with using dirty cleaning cloths are poor hygeine habits, that may cause food contamination or poisoning.
  • Answer: Food contamination is the presence of harmful chemicals in the food and people who consume them fall sick. Whereas food poisoning is caused by the ingestion of food.
  • Answer: E Coli is one of them
  • Answer: After you have cooked something, it has no (or very few) dangerous microbes left in it. However, if it comes in contact with something that is not prepared or safe - the contamination - it is very dangerous when it is not known to be, and assumed safe to eat. Someone eats it but is poisoned by the bacteria. Salmonella and E. coli are two noted microbes, and chicken is notorious for causing both as well as many of the other contaminants that cause food poisoning.
  • Answer: To prevent food poisioning, premises are often designed in a linear flow:Back door: products arrived > Sink: Product cleaned > Fridge: Product stored at correct temperature > Preparation area > Cooking Area > Service AreaThe main aim is to prevent cross-contamination amongst products. Also fridges are designed in a way whereby raw meat is stored below ready to eat products such as salad leaves. Any product which is ready to eat is a HIGH-RISK product, and needs to careuflly handled with a food business to prevent contamination.To prevent food spoilage, a premises should be designed to encourage stock rotation, perhaps through adequate storage space.
  • Answer: It depends on the jurisdiction you are in.

    You do NOT need a"basic food hygiene" [certificate] to e.g. replenish food stocks on a shelf in a supermarket, to sell prepackaged food behind a checkout till, to feed livestock/poultry, to pick fruit and vegetables for sale direct to the public or via a retail outlet or to work with food e.g. to offer to your family.
  • Answer: The knowledge of food poisoning can absolutely stop food poisoning by several factors:
    Food handlers do so in a way to ensure the cleanest of conditions and eliminate the possibilities of cross contamination.
    Food preparers do so in a way as to prevent cross contamination.
    Food purchasers do so in a way as to ensure their suppliers follow strict, pre-established guidelines ensuring the best possible products.
    Consumers use "fresh food wash" type cleaners to ensure the foods are salmonella, e.coli, bacteria, insecticide and food borne pathogen free before preparing and cooking the foods.
    The CitroBio Fresh Food Wash has been shown in independent testing to stop food poisoning, salmonella, e.coli and other food borne pathogens.
    If there is anything further I can assist you with or if you feel I did not answer your question thoroughly, please let me know ASAP and I will elaborate.
    Thank you,
    Tim Mathews
  • Answer: Any time you are serving food to the public in a restaurant or pub, you are required to have a hygiene certificate/health inspection. This is to show that all equipment, utensils, and food preparation areas are up to code, as well as that the food is properly handled and stored. You are also required to keep records of what you serve, as well as the temperatures at which it is served and stored at, and the dates and time it was stored, etc. While the certificates/inspections are time-consuming and require a lot of paperwork, they are designed to keep the workers, as well as the customers safe. Operating without a certificate/inspection will result in the restaurant or pub being shut down. This also applies to trucks, stands, etc. that serve food to the public.
  • Answer: There are a number of ways in which food can make you sick.Chemicals, heavy metals, foreign objects, food-infesting insects,parasites, fungi, viruses and bacteria are all possible causes.
    The greatest, and by far most common risk of becoming ill or dyingfrom food is from contamination with harmful microorganisms,commonly known as germs. The likelihood of becoming seriously illby microorganisms is far greater than that of pesticide risks,environmental contaminants, nutritional imbalances, food additivesand natural toxicants.
    Microorganisms include bacteria, viruses, molds, and parasites. Ofthe many types of microorganisms, bacteria and viruses are themajor source of foodborne illness cases in most of the world.
    Microbial food poisonings or foodborne illnesses mainly fall intoone of two categories. The first is foodinfection, where the microorganism itself growsinside your body and is the source of your symptoms. An example ofhtis is Salmonella. The second type is foodintoxication, where a chemical or natural toxin(often produced as a by-product of bacteria present in the food -known as an exotoxin) causes your symptoms or illness. A bacteriaknown to cause intoxication is Staphylocuccos aureus.
    Most bacterial food poisonings are actually food infections. Thesymptoms of food infection and food intoxication are similar. Bothcan produce food poisoning related symptoms, such as headaches,vomiting, abdominal pain, cramps, diarrhea, dehydration, and so itis not always clear which you are experiencing. Some dangerousbacteria such as Clostridium botulinum can cause death ifa person is not treated immediately.
  • Answer: When cooking depending on the thing you are cooking. You usually cook for an internal temperate between 145 and 165 Fahrenheit. However it should be noted there are bacterias that have been found to survive temperatures in excess of 400 degrees. That being said well packaged and cared for foods can usually have less cooking than the 145-165 range.

    This is why nice restaurants can serve very rare meat, while say Cracker Barrel HAS to cook your food to medium or well done.
  • Answer: Yes, there is often a period in which there are enoughmicroorganisms to make you sick but not enough to be detectable bythe look, taste, or smell of the food. But eventually those thingswill be affected.
    One very early warning that usually occurs well before thereare enough microorganisms to make you sick is the surface of thefood develops a "slimy" feel. It is still usually safe to eat suchfood when this just begins, especially if you cook it as themicroorganisms are still only on the surface of the food. But becautious! Note: this does not apply to ground meats and choppedfoods, if they get "slimy" throw them out immediately!