Answer: I was doing a presentation on Canavan Disease and had a lot of trouble finding wether it was dominant or recessive. I found the answer and thought i should make it easier for others. Canavan Disease is recessive
Answer: Canavan disease, also referred to as spongy degeneration of the CNS, is autosomal recessive, secondary to mutations in the aspartoacylase gene (ASPA). Symptoms typically begin two to four months after birth, with death occurring by 10 years of age
Answer: Canavan deteriorates the white matter (myelin) in the brain. Whitematter is responsible for forming a protective coating around everynerve in the brain and spinal cord to ensure that nerve impulsesare properly transmitted from one part of the body to another.Without myelin, the body cannot perform normal motor skills, canbecome increasingly stiff or floppy and suffers a multitude ofsymptoms including issues with swallowing, severe scoliosis and hipdislocations.
Canavan Disease is a genetic disease, which means both parents mustbe carriers of the gene in order to have an affected child. If bothparents are carriers, there is a 25% chance of a child havingCanavan, a 50% chance of the child being a carrier, and a 25%chance of the child not having the Canavan gene at all.